Hey everyone, the WELL Summit is less than a week away and I'm excited to see many of you there! I have the pleasure of attending the event for the first time as a WELL Insider and I'm looking forward to hearing of new ways to impact Wukkout!® as well as my overall life. Additionally, I’m happy to share a discount for $75 off the price of your ticket to attend the WELL Summit! Click here to purchase your ticket and be sure to enter code WSKrista at checkout.
I plan to take it all in and share with you all some tips I've learned along with the overall experience. Still, I thought it would be cool to kick things off by sharing five ways you can get healthier and get some exercise in without breaking the bank.
1) Take classes at the Athleta Studio – The beautiful Athleta Studio, located on the lower level of the Athleta Flatiron store, offers numerous fitness and wellness classes per week. Many of them are free community classes and are open to the public. Additionally, paid classes are available at $18/class or $15/class if you purchase a package (you won’t find prices cheaper than that in Manhattan). Sign up can be done via their MindBody site. While you’re there, be sure to check out our free weekly Wukkout! classes on Friday evenings at 6pm.
2) Check out the CityParks Website – The NYC Parks Department offer free fitness programming and other healthy activities for all ages throughout the 5 boroughs, all year round. Activities include everything from aerobics classes to healthy cooking demos; these are usually free and open to the public. Stay tuned for Wukkout!® classes coming to a city park near you in Spring 2019!
3) Check your local Library – A little known secret is that the libraries offer so much more than books nowadays; they have become a hub for all things community. Stop by your local library to check out their program offerings. Programming ranges from a variety of fitness classes to cultural workshops and activities - again - all free and open to the public - and heads up, you’ll even be able to find Wukkout!® there soon.
4) Tie on those sneakers and head outdoors! If you’re not really a class person or just like being outside, one of the quickest, most effective ways to get a workout in is strap on your sneakers and hit the pavement. Going out for a run will give you a total body workout and won’t cost you a dime. Not much of a runner? Power walking is also an effective low-impact activity with many of the same health benefits as running.
5) Donation based Yoga - Another great way to get some classes in on a budget is to take donation based yoga classes. Many small yoga studios throughout the city offer at least one donation based class per week. A quick Google search of “donation based yoga near me” will pull up several suggestions. Some studios will allow you to pay what you can - even if it’s a dollar - while others may have a set minimum payment. Either way, donation based yoga is a great way to get some bang for your buck.
Let me know in the comments below the way you like to work out and get healthy on a budget and hope to see you at the WELL Summit on October 5th & 6th!